Click here to view and register for EIT's upcoming free information and technical webinars.
Course at a Glance
- Code: BCS
- Course Length: 3 years full-time; up to 6 years part-time
- Course taught in English
In this accredited and prestigious programme you will gain:
- Skills and know-how in the latest and developing technologies in civil and structural engineering
- Practical guidance and feedback from civil and structural experts from around the world
- Knowledge from the extensive experience of expert lecturers, rather than from just theoretical information
- Global networking contacts in the industry
- A valuable and accredited Bachelor of Science (Civil and Structural Engineering) qualification
One of the oldest forms of engineering is civil and structural engineering, which involves the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment. Engineers in this field are responsible for ensuring that the infrastructure around us, gets developed, is safe, meets our needs and improves our quality of life. This includes buildings, bridges, railways, tunnels, water distribution and waste management networks. As a civil engineer you could be involved in sustainable urban development, environmental protection, conservation of energy and water resources, or even geotechnical, hydraulic or transport engineering. You could even specialize in fields such as earthquake and blast-resistant technologies.
What makes this live online programme truly innovative
- This engineering qualification is distinguished by its emphasis on useful, practical industry-orientated technology units combined with strong academic foundations closely aligned with the job market. It is a truly interactive online programme, drawing on features such as interactive live instruction and remote (cloud-based) laboratories.
- EIT’s existing industry-orientated programmes ensure that you have a continuous pathway (with viable exit or “rest” points) to a professional engineering level beginning with advanced diploma studies, through Bachelors of Science, to master’s degree level. You will be able to exit the pathway with a qualification.
- The flexibility of study load and duration, within programme rules. If you wish to reduce the study load then duration may extend up to a maximum of 6 years unless extenuating circumstances apply (illness, parenting responsibilities or similar).
- It is global in its reach. EIT’s current students join from over 100 countries.
- Students are supported by dedicated Learning Support Officers in addition to the lecturers. The Learning Support Officers act as mentors who will assist you to augment your potential throughout the programme and act as a conduit for direct contact with the lecturers.
- Lecturers are drawn overwhelmingly from industry and are highly experienced engineers, as well as practised presenters.
- EIT has built strong linkages with industry over many years operating in the vocational sector. Flexible and dynamic development means that units will maintain currency with changing technology.
How Does it Work?
EIT's programmes involve a combination of live, interactive sessions over the Internet with a professional lecturer, set readings, and assignments. The courses include simulation software and remote laboratory applications to let you put the theory to practice, and provide you with constant support from dedicated Learning Support Officers.
Practical Exercises and Remote Laboratories
As part of the groundbreaking new way of teaching, our online engineering courses use a series of remote laboratories (labs) and simulation software, to facilitate your learning and to test the knowledge you gain during your programme. These involve complete working labs set up at various locations of the world into which you will be able to log to and proceed through the various practical sessions.
These will be supplemented by simulation software, running either remotely or on your computer, to ensure you gain the requisite hands-on experience. No one can learn much solely from lectures, the labs and simulation software are designed to increase the absorption of the materials and to give you a practical orientation of the learning experience. All this will give you a solid, practical exposure to the key principles covered and will ensure that you obtain maximum benefit from your course.
This Bachelor's Degree is an academically accredited programme by the Australian Government agency Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) and provisionally accredited by Engineers Australia under the Sydney and Washington accords. This EIT degree is internationally recognized under the International Engineering Alliance (IEA) accords and the various signatories.
- A Year 12 Australian Senior Certificate of Education (or equivalent for International Students), completed within the past 2 years, with adequate achievement in Maths. Applicants who have completed Year 12 (or equivalent for International Students) more than 2 years ago will also need to show relevant work experience in the field of study applied for; OR
- A relevant (to the sub-discipline) Engineering AQF Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Associate Degree (or higher) with successful completion of all Maths units/modules; OR
- An overseas qualification equivalent to Point 2 above from a structured programme of learning that leads to the full or partial achievement of an officially accredited qualification undertaken at a tertiary institution such as a university, government technical college, or government-recognized private college (EIT assesses overseas qualifications using Australian Government guidelines to determine their comparability to qualifications); OR
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Completion with a minimum score of 24 including English and Maths completion; OR
- Foundation studies or bridging course completion in a relevant discipline with completion of Mathematics and English. e.g. Engineering enabling course; AND
- Satisfactory English language proficiency at an English pass level in an Australian Senior Certificate of Education (or equivalent for International Students); OR
- A specified level of achievement in a recognized English language test such as IELTS at a score of at least 6.0 (with no individual band score less than 5.5); or equivalent as outlined in the EIT Admissions Policy.
A Maths bridging test and English proficiency test must be completed by all Higher Education students during orientation week.
International students who wish to study on campus in Australia will need to have a valid international student visa. For more information please complete the contact form available on this page.
Prior Learning Recognition and Exemptions
EIT can give you credit for units where you can demonstrate substantial prior experience or educational background. An assessment fee may apply.
"I would like to thank you for your support and help during this duration of the programme. EIT has a wonderful support team; thankful for that. I would definitely recommend EIT to my friends. I feel ready to face the real world. Thank you."
Azad Sahib, Canada
"EIT has provided me with the best education experience so far."
Onoriode Akporherhe, Nigeria
About the School
The key objective of the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) is to provide an outstanding practical engineering and technology education; from Diplomas through to Masters Degrees. The finest eng ... Read More