Bachelor of Professional Studies Degree in Human Services
Are you passionate about improving the lives of others? If so, then you should consider a Bachelor's degree in Human Services. A degree in Human Services from MCNY will prepare you for a leadership position in a wide variety of human services settings, such as childcare, eldercare, substance abuse, counseling, community affairs and law. You will be equipped with the knowledge and field-based experience needed to make a real impact in this field.
About this Program
The Bachelor of Professional Studies in Human Services prepares students for direct care and leadership positions in a wide variety of human services settings such as childcare, eldercare, substance abuse, counseling, community affairs and law.
Graduates emerge as true practitioners, equipped with the theoretical foundations and practical skills to make an impact and contribute as front-line leaders in the helping fields.
This program integrates the College's Purpose-Centered System of Education , which provides students with the opportunity to use the knowledge they gain in their studies to take positive action in the organization where they are employed. Students earn credit for these hours, thereby making it possible to work part-time or full-time while attending classes full-time. Day, night and weekend classes in this accelerated program allow students to earn this degree in 2 years, 8 months…even while working full-time.
The program focuses on 8 essential Purposes:
- Self Assessment and Preparation for Practice
- Promoting Empowerment Through Professional Relationships
- Promoting Empowerment Through Work in Groups
- Promoting Empowerment Through Teaching and Communication
- Promoting Empowerment Through Counseling
- Promoting Empowerment Through Community Liaison
- Promoting Empowerment Through Supervision
- Promoting Empowerment Through Change Management
The complete degree program requires 120 credits. Each semester students earn 15 credits. Each credit represents either 15 semester hours of class work plus 30 hours of study.
Statistics and Facts for Human Services
Your Associate or Bachelor's degree from MCNY in Human Services can open the door to new or advanced careers at better pay. Your degree will prepare you for people-centered work in public, private and not-for-profit organizations.
The New York State Department of Labor projections for 2006 to 2016 for positions in the Human Service field throughout the state indicate the following trends in employment:
- Human Resources Managers positions will increase by 8.7%
- Human Resources Training and Labor Relations Specialists jobs will grow by 6.6%
- Employment, Recruitment, and Placement Specialists occupations will increase by 16.4%
- Educational, Vocational and School Counselor positions will increase by 8% and mental health counselors by 23.4%
- Pre School and Child Care Center positions will increase by 10.2%
- Counselor, Social Worker and other community and social service specialist positions will grow by 12.4%
- Community and Social Service occupations will increase by 12.5%
- Social Human Service Assistant jobs will grow by 17.4%
- Substance Abuse Counselors will increase by 21%
- Health Care Support occupations will grow by 27.5%
- Law Enforcement Workers will increase by 3%
- Paralegal and Legal Assistant positions will grow by 20.5%
- Religious Worker positions will increase by 15.8%
Now is the time to take advantage of opportunities at MCNY that will place you in the forefront of the market for jobs in the field of your choice.