- Duration: Part-time up to 10 Years
- Term Start: August 2019 and December 2019
- Entry Requirements: Part-time route: We give consideration to applicants with non-standard entry qualifications and all cases will be dealt with individually.
- Recognising Prior Learning: The College understands that learning may take place in different settings and that you may want to use the skills and knowledge you have gained elsewhere to count towards your learning with us. To support this, we have a detailed policy and procedure to guide and help you if you wish to ask for prior learning to be taken into account.
- Mode of Study: Online Learning. Part-time flexible for up to 10 years.
Our long-established BA (Hons) Theatre Studies programme is delivered by Online Learning and provides an ideal way to study for your degree from wherever you are in the world. Our current cohort comprises a truly global community of theatre professionals, school-leavers, teachers and theatre enthusiasts who all enjoy the benefits of being able to balance their studies alongside their work and family commitments.
Rose Bruford College offers the only full degree programme in the UK for those who wish to study theatre and performance by online learning and there is no comparable online course elsewhere in the world. The degree is taught via our online campus and is intended for anyone wanting to develop a thorough knowledge of the arts and practices of theatre and performance in their widest contexts and from early beginnings to modern performance. In addition to our full-time route, we aim to be flexible by offering a part-time study option a range of awards from HE certificate to full honours degree.
Why choose this course?
- Our unique online programme will provide you with a gateway to specialist provision regardless of your location.
- We have two decades of experience in teaching theatre and performance studies at a distance and a reputation for rigour and excellence.
- Our Virtual Learning Environment gives you access to a wealth of learning resources and a comprehensive choice of modules focussing on theatre-making as a practice.
- You will join an online community of enthusiasts, theatre professionals, teachers and returning learners and will be guided by expert practitioner-academics.
"The BA (Hons) Theatre Studies made me more aware of the range and variety of spaces in which Theatre can thrive. This allowed me, amongst other things, to convey to my pupils that the theatre experience begins from the moment the audience enters the building" Susan Hunt, Drama Teacher
"Running a small children's amateur drama club, the course has made the entire process much more rewarding to myself and the children as I now have a better understanding of methods that can be used to improve the enjoyment of the performance and the theatre experience as a whole. The information I have gained from just studying 2 modules of the course has given me the confidence to be much more adventurous in the productions I choose for the children, rather than simply relying on my own experience as an amateur actor." Julie McCarthy, Youth Theatre Director
Employability & Industry
Our graduates have gone on to work across a range of theatre-related roles and in education. Some continue on to further study on postgraduate programmes at the College and elsewhere.
- Martin Christie, Co-Artistic Director of Alloway Academy
- Atlanta Duffy, Theatre Designer, The Brokenville Project, National Theatre
- Jamie Eastlake, Joint Artistic Director, Theatre N16
- Tina Hoffman, Actor, Choreographer, Director
- Craig Sanders, Director of Buxton Opera House
"My studies are of course valuable to my career in teaching Theatre Studies. I have used work from my units to enrich KS5 students too." Gill Garrard, Drama Teacher
Studying an Arts related subject provides our students with a wide range of skills. Recent graduates have progressed into the following occupations:
- Arts officers producers and directors
- Secondary education teaching professionals
- Teaching and other educational professionals
- Actors, entertainers and presenters
- Managers and directors in retail
- Information technology and telecommunications professionals
- Research and development managers
- Further education teaching professionals
- Quality control and planning professionals
- Quality assurance technicians
- Set designers
- Financial and accounting technicians
- Marketing associate professionals
- Sales accounts and business development managers
- Vocational and industrial trainers and instructors
- Inspectors of standards and regulations
- Book-keepers, payroll managers and wages clerks
- Teaching Assistants
- Pharmacy and other dispensing assistants
2019/2020 module fee totals:
- 60 credits = £2965
- 40 credits = £1980
- 20 credits = £990
- 10 credits = £495
The full degree is 360 credits.
All fees can be paid over five months by Standing Order or credit card e.g. £198 per month for five months for each 20 credit module and £99 per month for five months for each 10 credit module.
The programme can be taken at a flexible pace of progression, thus spreading the cost and making this a truly viable option to full-time study. If you are a UK citizen taking this as your first degree and are able to do at least 30 credits each year of study, you may be eligible for the loan with Student Finance England.
- Theatres at Work
- Reading a Play
- Elements of the Performance
- Ways of Talking about Theatre: The Critical Audience
- British and American playwrights
- The Director
- The Actor and the Realist Tradition
- Musical Theatre: The American Golden Age
- Beyond the Stage: Space and Place / Live Artists at Work
- Topics in Contemporary Theatre
- Brecht and the Epic Tradition in German Theatre
- Shakespeare in Performance
- Theatre of the Absurd
- The Empire Acts Back
- Criticising the Critics
- Ancient Greek Tragedy: History and Reception
- Independent Research Project (for BA Honours Degree)
"What I particularly valued was being able to apply my own knowledge and experience gained through my work as a theatre designer to the ideas, issues and assignments that arose throughout my degree. At the same time, my own knowledge and confidence were of course greatly enriched by the process of learning, getting to grips with, and thinking about completely new ideas." A.D. (Graduate) Theatre Designer
About the School
Welcome to Rose Bruford College of Theatre and Performance. Our goal is to inspire, excite and train you as a creative artist and practitioner who can use reflective practice and research, along with ... Read More