- Duration (years): 4
- Qualification Awarded: Bachelor of Education in Primary Education
- Level of Qualification: 1st Cycle (Bachelor’s Degree)
- Language of Instruction: Greek
- Mode of Study: Distance Learning
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 240
Profile of the Programme
The general aim of the programme is to prepare primary teachers who will teach children between the ages of 6 and 12. This means that the candidate teacher should acquire the necessary knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will enable her/him to organize a learning environment that will nurture the cognitive development of children as well as their social, emotional, and moral development. Both course content and methodology aim at forming a reflective educator, a teacher who is capable of rethinking and evaluating her/his decisions and has the disposition and ability for corrective action.
Graduates of the Primary Education programme are employed in public and private primary schools, either as part-time or full-time teachers. Other options include employment by other educational or child-care organizations, research centres, or NGOs.
Access to Further Studies
Graduates of the programme can be accepted into Second Cycle degrees (Master’s Degree).
Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam and continuous assessment. Continuous assessment can include amongst others, midterms, projects, and class participation. Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated.
The student must complete 240 ECTS and all programme requirements. A minimum cumulative grade point average (CPA) of 2.0 is required. Thus, although a ‘D-‘ is a PASS grade, in order to achieve a CPA of 2.0 an average grade of ‘C’ is required.
On completion of the programme the student will be able to:
- Identify the school’s role in contemporary society and especially its mission for promoting democratic values, collaboration and mutual understanding, interculturalism and active citizenship.
- Relate the basic concepts and principles of Education Sciences and to actual teaching practice.
- Review the basis of educational theory and practice, through historical, philosophic, psychological, and sociological approaches.
- Identify and use the required teaching skills for effective planning and teaching.
- Identify and use the teaching competencies that will enable them to facilitate their pupils’ critical thinking, active learning, and creativity.
- Develop and implement research skill and lifelong learning competencies and attitudes.
- Function as agents of social change and improvement within the educational institutions they will be working with.
About the School
UNIC is the largest university in Cyprus, with over 12,000+ students, from over 70 countries across the globe, coming together in an innovative and transformative learning space.