BSc in Sport, Fitness and Coaching (Honours)
If you’re an aspiring or practising leader of sport or fitness activities, this course will increase your effectiveness and skills, and develop your understanding of sports science, training, coaching and leadership principles. It takes a highly practical approach, applying science and theory to practice through activities and case studies, and by reflecting on real and potential work situations.
Note: In addition to your OU study, you’ll need to identify and complete a UK-accredited qualification in either coaching or exercise instruction.
Key features of the course
- Focuses on the all-round physical and psychological needs of sports participants or exercise clients
- Develops your communication and analytical skills
- Encourages you to reflect on your own role
- Enhances your career prospects.
This qualification will enable you to develop:
- an understanding of the theoretical and work-based knowledge relevant to the application of sport, fitness and coaching science in practice
- the ability to reflect on experience of practice to produce and apply new understandings and skills
- an ability to recognise and deal with sport and fitness participants’ individual differences and the instructional issues arising from such diversity.
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost. Fees for study commencing in academic year 2014/2015 are:
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification currently starts from £15,792 based on our current fees.
NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 6 years
- Full time – 3 years
- Time limit – 16 years
The BSc (Hons) Sport, Fitness and Coaching is a good choice if you want to enhance your prospects in sports coaching, fitness training or the leadership of recreational groups. It is also valuable if you are self-employed in the sport and fitness sector, working at sports clubs or wishing to further your career in sports management or sports development. Some students use this qualification as a route towards teaching physical education (PE) – note you will need to have GCSEs in English and mathematics (and possibly science), and undertake subsequent postgraduate training.
There are no formal entry requirements to study this degree. You will however need to be proficient in English, to an IELTS standard of 6.0. If you are unsure you will be able to take a free English test as part of the registration process.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017