BSc in Natural Sciences (Honours)
We live in a society that depends on science, but how many of us really understand the science behind the important issues that feature in the news? Whether you’re keen to study a specific area of science, or you’re not yet sure where your interests lie – say in physics or biology – this degree is for you. Science graduates are well placed to enter both scientific and non-scientific jobs. The logical, reasoned approach needed for science study is relevant to a wide range of financial, business and public sector employment, so science graduates – particularly those who have good communication and interpersonal skills – are in demand.
- Starts with a wide-ranging introduction to highly topical areas of modern science, giving you a good grounding in each
- Carry on with a broad-based approach, or focus on a particular area – choosing from astronomy & and planetary science, biology, chemistry, Earth sciences, environmental sciences or physics
- Opt for hands-on laboratory and field work, or take part online from home
- Build valuable transferable skills such as analytical, numerical and communication skills, team working, problem solving and IT
This broad-based science degree aims to provide you with:
- a lifelong interest in science through modules that are accessible to people of all educational backgrounds
- an understanding of the roles of different scientific subjects
- an enthusiasm for the study of science through understanding how scientific knowledge develops, and an appreciation of the limits of scientific knowledge
- support and guidance to develop as an independent learner.
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost. Fees for study commencing in academic year 2014/2015 are:
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification currently starts from £15,792 based on our current fees.
NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 6-8 years
- Full time – 3 years
- Time limit – 16 years
Science graduates are well placed to enter both scientific and non-scientific jobs. The logical, reasoned approach needed for science study is relevant to a wide range of financial, business and public sector employment, so science graduates – particularly those who have good communication and interpersonal skills – are in demand.
Employers include central and local government, the NHS, the water industry, food and drink companies, the horticultural industry, multinational oil companies, the pharmaceutical industry, conservation bodies and universities – in roles such as:
- research and investigation
- product design and development
- analysis and diagnostics
- science information management
- exploration and extraction of natural resources
- health and healthcare related professions
- waste management, recycling and sustainability
- environmental management, protection and conservation
- teaching (science is a shortage subject at secondary school level, so there may be incentives to train as a physics, chemistry or maths teacher).
Growth areas are predicted to be: environment, energy and sustainability; biotechnology and biomedical engineering; healthcare; telecommunications; pharmaceuticals; bioinformatics; and technology transfer (transfer of scientific expertise to commercial products).
There are no formal entry requirements to study this degree. You will however need to be proficient in English, to an IELTS standard of 7.0. If you are unsure you will be able to take a free English test as part of the registration process.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017