Graduates who understand the commercial and economic environment and who are also highly numerate are in short supply. If you enjoy solving problems and you’re interested in the practical application of economics and mathematics, this degree course could be what you’re looking for. It will give you a thorough grounding in mathematical, statistical and computational skills, and a sound knowledge of economic theory – together with a good understanding of economic issues.
Key features of the course
- Explores fundamental questions about our physical and economic world
- Extends analytical and model building skills applicable to a variety of contexts
- Develops essential skills to solve real problems and make sound judgments – from everyday choices about personal finances to high-level strategic decisions in employment
This degree has three stages, each comprising 120 credits.
- In Stage 1 you’ll be introduced to the basics of mathematics and statistics.
- Next, in Stage 2, you’ll study modules covering economics, statistical analysis and mathematical methods.
- Finally, in Stage 3, you’ll further advance your knowledge of statistics and economics and conclude your degree with a mathematics module chosen from a range of options.
We make all our qualifications as accessible as possible and have a comprehensive range of services to support all our students. The BSc (Honours) Economics and Mathematical Sciences uses a variety of study materials and has the following elements:
- a mixture of printed and online material – online learning resources may include websites, audio/video media clips, and interactive activities such as online quizzes
- using mathematical and scientific expressions, notations and associated techniques
- using and/or producing diagrams and/or screenshots
- finding external/third party material online
- some modules may require you to use specialist software (for example the Sibelius music writing package).
All qualifications require you to complete learning and assessment activities within a required timescale and according to pre-determined deadlines. You will, therefore, need to manage your time effectively during your studies and the University will help you to develop this skill throughout your degree. Information on assessment will be available to you at the start of each module.
Learning outcomes, teaching and assessment
This qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
The level and depth of your learning gradually increase as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the OU’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; e-learning resources like podcasts, interactive media and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
There are no formal entry requirements to study this qualification, but it is very important that you are well prepared to study mathematics at this level.
Before you register for this qualification, it is essential to check that you have the appropriate mathematical skills.
Skills for career development
On completion of this degree course, you’ll be able to construct economic, statistical and mathematical arguments with appropriate and critical use of concepts, theories, models and evidence. You’ll also learn to use modern mathematical and statistical software, and how to carry out a research project using appropriate research methods.
These skills are all in great demand in the workplace, and many are highly transferable and applicable to a variety of situations – whether you’re already working, volunteering or changing career.
Opportunities can be found across all sectors and in a number of occupations. Education, central and local government, finance, health and social care, law, the media, public services, campaigning and research are popular career choices.
Other careers include:
- journalism and broadcasting
- social work
- business management
- advertising and marketing.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 19, 2018