BA/BSc in Design and Innovation (Honours)
Design and innovation have a huge impact on society well beyond the creative industries – finding solutions to problems that affect every aspect of our lives. This ground-breaking course features online design studios, social networking, and inspiring study materials, and each module has a significant practical component. Alongside design and innovation you will study a complementary subject – choosing from arts, business, engineering or environment – to gain knowledge and skills that will be useful in a wide range of careers.
Key features of the course
- Focus on the process of design, working with and for others, and applying design and innovation in real-world contexts
- Put your learning into practice as you study
- Build a highly relevant portfolio of design work
The aim of this degree is to broaden your design and innovation thinking around your own particular interests by allowing you to:
- develop understanding of the processes, principles and issues involved in designing and producing new products
- understand the issues and challenges associated with innovation and its implementation
- gain basic skills in applying and managing design processes
- understand the role of design, innovation and creativity in a contemporary context
- generate design ideas, concepts, proposals or solutions independently and/or collaboratively in response to set briefs and/or as self-initiated activity
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost. Fees for study commencing in academic year 2014/2015 are:
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification currently starts from £15,792 based on our current fees.
NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 6 years
- Full time – 3 years
- Time limit – 16 years
Design and innovation play a central role in society, producing solutions to problems of all sizes in every aspect of our lives, not just in the creative industries. A design and innovation approach can bring value to almost any activity, and is increasingly in demand by employers. Graduates with these skills can find jobs in a wide range of fields including education, business, local government, leisure services, engineering, environment, and health.
There are no formal requirements to study this degree. You will however need to be proficient in English, to an IELTS standard of 6.0. If you are unsure you will be able to take a free English test as part of the registration process.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017