BA/BSc Open degree (Honours)
The BA/BSc Open is one of the most flexible, wide-ranging degree programmes in the UK – and our most popular qualification. It gives you huge freedom of choice, enabling you to build your own qualification to suit your personal and professional needs, interests and aspirations. You can study any subjects you like, in any combination – but if you’d like some guidance, we’re always happy to advise. You don’t need to decide now about the whole qualification. The only decision you need to make before you register is what to study first.
Key features of the course
- Enjoy the intellectual challenge of a wide variety of disciplines, or try something completely new
- Mix and match modules as you like, or combine one main subject with a few modules from other areas
- The freedom to change direction as your career plans evolve and your interests and horizons expand
- Enhance your employability – research shows attitude and aptitude is far more important to employers than degree subject
- Count credit from university-level studies you’ve already completed elsewhere.
In the Open Programme you can mould an Open degree to suit your changing needs or circumstances. Choosing from a wide range of rewarding and enjoyable modules you can steer your studies to focus on, or combine, personal interests and career needs. The programme aims to provide you with:
- the flexibility to study modules in one or more subjects
- the opportunity to develop your skills, knowledge and capabilities through the three levels of university study
- an appreciation of the development of knowledge and its application in your chosen subjects
- the skills to learn independently, organise information and communicate effectively, whether for academic study, employment, or your own pleasure and satisfaction.
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost.
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification starts from £15,792 based on our current fees.
NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 6-8 years
- Full time – 3 years
- Time limit – 16 years
The Open degree is relevant to huge range of jobs in every sector. It can help you to develop in your existing employment, or be a passport to a whole new career. Its flexibility particularly suits people with multi-faceted work roles; and anyone needing to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding to manage changes in their current job or future career path.
The only decision you need to make when you register is what to study first. You will also need to be proficient in English, to an IELTS standard of 6.0. If you are unsure you will be able to take a free English test as part of the registration process.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017