If you are interested in reading between the lines, and being challenged by new ideas and ways of seeing, then this course is for you. English literature is a broad, accessible and important subject. On this course, you will study a range of texts dating from around 1570 to the present, from poetry to fiction to film, and discover a variety of approaches for reading them. You will develop your skills of analysis and communication, enabling you to take a fresh look at familiar texts, and to encounter new texts and ideas with confidence.
Key features of the course
- Learn how to analyse a wide range of texts including fiction, poetry and drama
- Explore the work of some famous authors alongside some lesser known – but equally fascinating – writers
- Choose options in Creative writing or English language
- Develop advanced skills in analysis, evaluation and communication that are highly valued in the workplace
This degree has three stages, each comprising 120 credits.
- You’ll start Stage 1 with a broad introduction to the arts and humanities followed by up to two modules chosen from a variety of subjects.
- Next, in Stage 2, you’ll study a core literature module exploring different approaches to reading texts, followed by one from a choice of modules including options in creative writing and the history and diversity of English language.
- Finally, in Stage 3, you’ll complete your degree with two advanced literature modules.
We make all our qualifications as accessible as possible and have a comprehensive range of services to support all our students. The BA (Honours) English Literature uses a variety of study materials and has the following elements:
- studying a mixture of printed and online material – online learning resources may include websites, audio/video media clips, and interactive activities such as online quizzes
- finding external/third party material online
- working in a group with other students
- working with specialist reading material such as works of art and musical manuscripts
All qualifications require you to complete learning and assessment activities within a required timescale and according to pre-determined deadlines. You will, therefore, need to manage your time effectively during your studies and the University will help you to develop this skill throughout your degree. Information on assessment will be available to you at the start of each module.
If you feel you may need additional support with any of the elements above, visit our disability page to find more about what we offer. Please contact us as soon as possible to discuss your individual requirements, so we can put arrangements in place before you start.
Learning outcomes, teaching and assessment
This qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
The level and depth of your learning gradually increases as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the OU’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; e-learning resources like podcasts, interactive media and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
If you have already studied at university level, you may be able to count it towards your Open University qualification – which could save you time and money by reducing the number of modules you need to study. At the OU we call this credit transfer.
It’s not just university study that can be considered, you can also transfer study from a wide range of professional or vocational qualifications such as HNCs and HNDs.
You should apply for credit transfer before you register, at least 4 weeks before the registration closing date. We will need to know what you studied, where and when and you will need to provide evidence of your previous study.
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification.
At The Open University we believe education should be open to all, so we provide a high-quality university education to anyone who wishes to realise their ambitions and fulfil their potential.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 16, 2018