B.A. Elementary Education
General information, degree requirements for all undergraduate majors in the Watson College of Education, and detailed requirements for admission are listed in the undergraduate catalogue online. The requirements for admission to the Watson College of Education are listed below:
For students pursuing education of young children, elementary education, middle grades education or special education programs, admission is required before enrollment in education courses in the upper division (i.e., courses numbered higher than EDN 303). Requirements for admission are:
- Completion of the University requirements in English composition, mathematics and a science laboratory course with a grade of "C-" or better in each course.
- Completion of introductory educational foundations coursework (i.e. EDN 200 and EDNL 200) with a grade of “C-” or better.
- Completion of a minimum of 45 semester hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.70 or better on work completed at UNCW. Transfer students must earn a 2.70 on a minimum of 12 hours completed at UNCW.
- Passing scores on teacher education entry tests specified and mandated by the Board of Education of the State of North Carolina (Praxis I).
Students with SAT scores of 1100 or higher (math and verbal) or ACT combined scores of 24 or higher can be exempt from taking Praxis I. Students with SAT scores of less than 1100, but with SAT scores of 550 or better on Verbal can be exempt from Praxis I Reading and Writing, SAT of 550 or better on Math can be exempt from Praxis I Math. Students with ACT scores of less than 24, but with ACT scores of 24 or better on English can be exempt from Praxis I Reading and Writing, ACT of 24 or better in Math can be exempt from Praxis I Math.
NOTE: Licensure requirements change and program requirements must be adjusted to accommodate new mandated competencies and guidelines. Students must meet the Teacher Education Program requirements in place at the time of their eligibility for admission to the Watson College of Education. Similarly, they must meet the licensure requirements in effect, including mastery on Essential and Advanced Technology standards, at the time their applications are submitted to the North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction. Students are advised to check with their advisors or the Associate Dean’s Office to stay informed of programmatic changes.
NOTES TO ADVISORS:
- Students are encouraged to declare Pre-Education as soon as possible.
- Students do not need to have all University Studies completed before being eligible for admission to the Watson College of Education.
- MAT 141 and 142 are recommended for Elementary, Special Education, and Middle Grades teaching math.
- Special Education (adapted or general) and Education of Young Children do not have academic concentrations.
B. A. Elementary Education K-6 (EEL)
Course requirements for all UNCW degrees include: (1) University Studies, (2) specific major requirements, and (3) sufficient elective hours for a combined total of a minimum of 124 hours.
NOTE: Admission to the Watson College of Education is required for enrollment in EDN/SED 300- and 400-level courses numbered higher than EDN 303 or SED 250. A grade of “C-” or better is required in all professional courses in the elementary program. Students may repeat EDN courses in which they earn a grade of “C-” or lower only with the permission of the dean of the Watson College of Education. A cumulative GPA of 2.70 is required for eligibility for the practicum semester.
Academic Concentration: An academic concentration of 18 semester hours is required. Specific course requirements for the various concentrations may be obtained from the academic advisors in the Watson College of Education. Academic concentrations may be chosen from one of the eight composites: language arts, social studies, math and technology, science and health, fine arts, English as a second language, international studies, or behavioural studies.
*These courses require a lab
+May also be used to satisfy University Studies Foundations & Approaches and Perspectives requirements
Requirements to declare PRE-Education: Completion of 24 hours.
Requirements to declare EDN major: See UNCW Undergraduate Catalogue.
For further information, see the EDN website.
This document is considered an unofficial guide. Please refer to your degree audit for the latest updates.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 28, 2017