What Will I Learn?
- Create powerful custom illustrations in minutes using Adobe Illustrator or any similar free or paid program (Photoshop, GIMP, Painter, etc) using simple techniques and basic principles.
- Understand image creation best practices regarding copyrights and using free stock images, original photos, and royalty-free images.
- Develop the ability to make illustrations that can be used online, in videos, or for print, even if you CAN’T DRAW.
- Make unique and inexpensive illustrated gifts for friends and family.
- Save and make money creating your own illustrations for yourself and others.
- Avoid headaches if and when you lose your work by learning the proper way to save your files.
- This mini-course requires no special equipment aside from a computer and an appropriate software program like Illustrator. (Free 30 days trials of Illustrator are available from Adobe).
Who is the target audience?
- This course is for newcomers to Illustrator as well as beginners interested in learning simple and basic techniques for getting started illustrating on the computer.
- Advanced traditional fine artists and illustrators looking for ways to take their natural drawing talents from their sketchbooks to a computer environment will appreciate this easy, step by step approach.
- Please note this is NOT an in-depth Adobe Illustrator course. Students looking for intermediate to advanced Illustrator training would be better off taking a longer, comprehensive course.
- Welcome! Introduction to this Illustrator Course
- New to Adobe Illustrator? Here’s the Crash Course to Get You Started.
Getting Set Up: All About Copyright Issues and Using Photos in Your Projects
- Important Copyright Issues You Need to Know & Choosing a Photo as a Guide
Let's Do IT! Make a Custom Illustration in Adobe Illustrator
- Placing Your Photo as a Guide in Illustrator
- Setting Up Your Brush and Making a “Drawing” Layer in Illustrator
- Draw the Black and White Line Drawing in Illustrator
- Pause Here to Learn How to Save Properly and Save Yourself Pain and Suffering
- Adding Color: Option #1. Coloring With the Brush Tools in Illustrator
- Adding Color: Option #2. Use The Live Paint Bucket Tool in Illustrator
- Adding Color: Option #3. Cheat and Go Color It In Photoshop
- Saving a Final Web Version in Illustrator
- Saving a Final Web Version in Adobe Photoshop
Last updated September 6, 2018