Learn about the UK's university application process and how to prepare your young person for university and the student journey.
Support your child to make informed decisions with this university parent guide
Navigating the Higher Education application process can be confusing for young people and their parents. This course will help you to support your young person in the university application process.
You’ll explore the application timeline and key decision dates, such as when to register, and the deadline for submitting personal statements. This course will also address common concerns such as what financial aid is available, and what support services your young person will have access to throughout their time at university.
What topics will you cover?
- Course welcome
- Our understanding of higher education and the options available
- Myth-busting common concerns
- Influencing factors and researching higher education
- The application process and key dates
- Making the most of open days and visits
- Writing the application and the support available
- Financial aspects of applying to university
- Living costs at university
- Hearing back from offers
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Explore the range of higher education options available.
- Collect practical tips on how to make the most of university open days.
- Apply understanding of the process and being prepared for any unexpected outcomes.
- Identify and understand key dates in the application process.
- Investigate the financial implications of studying at university.
Who is the course for?
The course is for parents, carers, and supporters of students that are entering university and who may be leaving home for the first time.
This course will also be useful for staff in local authorities supporting children in care and teaching staff looking for CPD training and to learn more about the university process.
Who will you learn with?
20 years of experience working in careers and Higher Education helping young people with their post 16 choices.
Who developed the course?
University of Reading
The University of Reading has a reputation for excellence in teaching, research and enterprise.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.