Course at a Glance
- National Code - 52708WA
- Code: DIA
- Course Length: 18 Months
- Course taught in English
Join this 18-month live online, interactive, programme to gain:
- Skills and know-how in the latest technologies in instrumentation, process control, and industrial automation
- Guidance from industrial automation experts in the field with extensive experience, rather than from the clinical information gained from books and college
- Credibility as the local industrial automation expert in your firm
- Networking contacts in the industry
- Improved career prospects and income
- A world-class Advanced Diploma in Industrial Automation
Gain strong underpinning knowledge and expertise in Industrial Automation covering a wide range of skills ranging from instrumentation, automation and process control, industrial data communications, process plant layout, project and financial management, and chemical engineering with a strong practical focus.
Industrial Automation is an extremely fast-moving area especially compared to the more traditional areas such as electrical and mechanical engineering. The field is diverse and dynamic and offers the opportunity for a well paid and enjoyable career. The aim of the course is to empower you with practical knowledge that will improve your productivity in the area and make you stand out as a leader in industrial automation among your peers.
The programme is composed of 72 topics within 21 modules which run through seven (7) threads to provide you with maximum practical coverage in the field of industrial automation:
- Instrumentation, Automation and Process Control
- Electrical Engineering
- Industrial Data Communications and Networking
- Mechanical Engineering
- Project Management
- Chemical Engineering
The modules are completed in the following order:
- Practical Instrumentation for Automation and Process Control
- Practical Fundamentals of Chemical Engineering (for Non- Chemical Engineers)
- Control Valve Sizing, Selection and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Process Plant Layout and Piping Design
- Practical Process Control for Engineers and Technicians
- Practical Tuning of Industrial Control Loops for Engineers and Technicians
- Practical Distributed Control Systems (DCS)
- Practical Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) for Automation and Process Control
- Best Practice in Industrial Data Communications
- Practical Advanced Process Control for Engineers and Technicians
- Practical Boiler Control and Instrumentation for Engineers and Technicians
- Practical Hazardous Areas for Engineers and Technicians
- Practical Safety Instrumentation and Emergency Shutdown Systems for Process Industries Using IEC 6155 and IEC 61508
- Practical HAZOPS (Hazard and Operability Studies) for Engineers and Technicians
- Practical Shielding, EMC/EMI, Noise Reduction, Earthing and Circuit Board Layout of Electronic Systems
- Practical Wireless Ethernet and TCP/ IP Networking
- Practical Radio Telemetry Systems for Industry
- Practical SCADA Systems for Industry
- Motor Protection, Control and Maintenance Technologies
- Practical Power Distribution for Engineers and Technicians
- Practical Project Management for Electrical, Instrumentation and Mechanical Engineers and Technicians
Who Should Complete this Programme
Anyone who wants to gain a solid knowledge of the key elements of industrial automation to improve their work skills and to further their job prospects:
- Electrical Engineers and Electricians
- Maintenance Engineers and Supervisors
- Energy Management Consultants
- Automation and Process Engineers
- Design Engineers
- Project Managers
- Instrument Fitters and Instrumentation Engineers
- Consulting Engineers
- Production Managers
- Chemical and Mechanical Engineers
- Instrument and Process Control Technicians
Job Outcomes, International Recognition and Professional Membership
The Advanced Diploma of Industrial Automation qualification is recognized by Engineers Australia and (through the Dublin Accord) by leading professional associations and societies in Australia, Canada, Ireland, Korea, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States. The Dublin Accord is an agreement for the international recognition of Engineering Technician qualifications.
For example, currently enrolled students can apply for free student membership of Engineers Australia. After graduation, you can apply for membership to become an Engineering Associate, while graduates interested in UK recognition can apply for membership of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) as a Technician Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
This professional recognition greatly improves the global mobility of graduates and offers you the opportunity of a truly international career.
You will be qualified to find employment as an Engineering Associate in public and private industry including transportation, manufacturing, process, construction, resource, energy and utility industries. Engineering Associates often work in support of professional engineers or engineering technologists in a team environment. If you prefer to work in the field you may choose to find employment as a site supervisor, senior technician, engineering assistant, or similar.
This is an accelerated, practical, work-oriented programme. It is designed for engineers and technicians who have some background in the field. This includes those who have technical or ‘trade’ qualifications who want to move to the next career step, those with substantial relevant work experience who need to formalize and enhance their achievements, and those with higher-level qualifications in a related field who wish to develop specialist knowledge.
Practical work experience in related areas of engineering would help enormously. It would not be suitable for a student with no relevant work experience.
Strongly recommend to friends and others who would like to do a work-related online engineering course.
Lal Perera, Australia
The course was great and learned a lot of information vital to my role.
Matthew Barbour, Australia
EIT has been one of the greatest experiences I have ever had in all the levels of studies I have gone through.
Valeriano Envo, Equatorial Guinea
The course is extremely good and presents a better understanding of Industrial Automation. Practicals are really good as they give the real-life feel of the work.
Michael Zihumo, Rwanda
This is an institution that goes beyond the future of this dynamic world of engineering.
Fred Mashiane, South Africa
The course was excellent; I am going to miss it.
Robert Nkosi, South Africa
The practical aspect of the course was good. It really helps us understand the material better.
Sasheen Gopal, South Africa
I feel I have elevated my skills to another high level.
Shephard Ngoni, South Africa
The service was awesome, far above many universities. A module for engineering mathematics will also help to sharpen student's approach to engineering problems.
Sydeny Madenga, South Africa
Very practical and informative.
Tsakane Mbiza, South Africa
About the School
The key objective of the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) is to provide an outstanding practical engineering and technology education; from Diplomas through to Masters Degrees. The finest eng ... Read More