Do you want to teach English, either at home, online, or abroad, but you’re not sure where to start? This TESOL/TEFL Certification course is fully accredited, internationally recognized, and will give you the tools you need to be successful as a teacher of English as a Second Language!
TESOL means Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and is sometimes referred to as a TEFL certificate - which means Teaching English as a Foreign Language. With a TESOL/TEFL certificate, you show the schools that you’re applying to that you know how to teach - from lesson planning and classroom management to theory and pedagogical techniques.
Throughout the course, you will get the opportunity to submit lesson plans to experienced TESOL/TEF teachers, gaining valuable feedback from experts who have been teaching abroad for years!
120 hour online TEFL / TESOL Certificarte
- CPD, TQUK & ICOES accredited qualification
- Internationally recognized certificate
- Learn from any country on any device
- Expert job hunting advice
- Flexible study schedule
- 120 training hours
What you’ll learn
In this course, we’ll take you through learning modules that will prepare you for your new adventure. You’ll learn:
- How to motivate students who are new to the English language.
- How to use a student’s primary language to teach them a new language.
- The basics of linguistics, which will help bridge the gap between the students’ primary language and English.
- All the reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills you will need to impart in your students.
- Basic pedagogical techniques
- Classroom management strategies
- How to get hired abroad
Who is this course for?
This course is specially designed for those who wish to teach English as a second language. This could mean teaching abroad, teaching in your own home town, or teaching online.
One of the best, and most consistently in demand, jobs to get while traveling overseas is TESOL instructor. BUT! Simply because you speak English does not mean that you can teach it, at least not without our help.
We put together everything you need to know in this one course to ensure your success!
After completing this course, you could:
- Get a job at an English academy anywhere in the world
- Work as an Au Pair, nanny, or childminder
- Teach private one-on-one lessons
- Teach English online
- Gain a better understanding of English and the teaching of language, to improve your own language studies
No formal qualifications are required.
- PDF certificate after completing the course. (already included in price)
- You will also have the option to order a hard copy certificate directly from ICOES. (www.icoes.org)
- This course is CPD/CE accredited. CPD accredited courses count towards the total of CPD hours to submit for your job role. CPD points are accepted and recognized by employers from both the public and private sectors, and academic institutions across the UK and internationally.
Meet the instructor
Matt Kimmel is a professional educator and writer who specializes in writing about education, travel, personal health, business, and job training. He lives in Danbury, CT with his wife, Catherine, with whom he loves to travel, read, and watch movies. As an English teacher, Matt enjoys introducing new material to his students, making it entertaining and accessible to all. It is this love of connecting with people that makes his writing unique and effective. His experiences with his students, including a high population of ELL students, has prepared to adjust his instruction to engage students of all age-levels, skill-levels, and levels of English language acquisition. Matt brings all of these experiences to his writing to give it richness, depth, and authenticity.
Module 1: Teaching and Learning
- Understanding cultural backgrounds
- The importance of the first language
- Getting started
Module 2: Linguistics
Module 3: Reading
- Developing reading skills
- Auditory and visual discrimination
- Forming associations
- Reading for purpose
Module 4: Writing
- Sentence structure
- Creating new knowledge
- Informative and explanatory writing
- Persuasive writing
Module 5: Speaking
- Sounding out words
- Reading out loud
- Responding to questions
- Presenting new ideas
Module 6: Listening
- Decoding sounds
- Repeating what you hear or transcribing
- Paraphrasing what you hear
- Conversational English
- Using what you hear to present new ideas
Module 7: Pedagogy
- Understanding motivation
- Know where you’re going
- Constructive criticism
Module 8: Lesson Planning
- Standards and objectives
- Following a curriculum
- Varying instruction
- Teaching strategies
- Meaningful assessments
Module 9: Classroom Management
- Setting expectations
- Choosing your battles
- Unique strategies
Module 10: Getting a TESOL Job
- What do you need?
- Building a resume
- Possible destinations
- Interview techniques: What are they looking for?
- Preparing to join a different culture
100% authentic student testimonials
I wanted to get a TESOL certificate to complement the other certificates in ESL I've already received. This course went beyond my expectations and needs. The information was detailed and very easy to follow. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone trying to get a job teaching in the ESL sector. Thanks, International Open Academy!
Marva Young - United States
It was a great experience! Being a professional philologist I did not expect to find out any new information about teaching English. But it turned out that the modules and topics were selected so briefly and logically that they pushed me to read more professional literature on certain aspects. I'm even going to conduct several seminars for teachers on these topics in the English language centre where I work. For beginners of English teaching: all the most important information that I had studied for more than five years at the university is collected in one course. Perfect! The Academy team is super! Thank you for your support and opportunities to develop! You are an incredibly modern education platform! Nadiia Popyk – Ukraine
I enjoyed the course and found the learning sections easy to follow. Good clear layout with great photos throughout. The content was exactly what I was looking for and I am now much more confident in my chosen subject. I would recommend this course.
Jane Llewellyn-Jones - United Kingdom
Thanks a lot! I've learned a lot of useful information which I'll apply during my lessons! I'm working as a TESOL teacher in one of the Language Schools in Russia. All the information and knowledge I can apply. The course was very interesting and rich, containing a lot of materials on pedagogy and psychology, lexicology, as well as grammar, phonetics, listening, writing and reading. Helen Britvina - Russian Federation
I was able to reflect not just on my Teaching & Learning style but also on Classroom Management through its modules which are very comprehensive and helpful. I also appreciate the course consultant's helpfulness in assisting me with my concerns right away. I have learned a lot from the entire course modules & I am very pleased to finish my TESOL course in IOA. Archie Robles Balida – China
This course was excellent. I actually loved what I learned. I do believe that I can take what was learned and put it into motion. I am going to try and complete my application for VIPKIDS. I would love to work internationally.
Connie Dunwoody - United States