Average Length: 10 weeks per course
Effort: 10-12 hours per week, per course
Number Of Courses: 4 Courses in Program
Subject: Humanities, Business & Management, Social Sciences, Environmental Studies, Science, Philosophy & Ethics
Institution: The University of Queensland
Institution Offering Credit: The University of Queensland
Video Transcripts: English
Price (USD): $150 per course
Learn the in-demand leadership skills needed to advance your career in international development.
International Development aims to reduce poverty and improve the living standards, health and quality of life for those in developing countries. As our world becomes more complex, qualified and skilled professionals are needed to lead across sectors and organizations.
Are you working in international development and want to take the next step in your career? Is having more in-depth knowledge of the development sector vital to success in your current role?
In the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters Program, you will develop the strong technical and management skills needed to tackle the most demanding and complex challenges in international development. You will learn the skills development agencies are increasingly demanding from its leaders and managers.
You will learn how to analyse and respond effectively to complicated problems in development, viewing them from a range of different perspectives.
The MicroMasters will cover leadership theory; key concepts in sustainable development; how to be an effective and adaptive leader; and current trends in international development.
Upon successful completion of the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters Program, students will meet one of the key entry requirements for UQ’s 12 month Master of Leadership in Global Development program.
- The demand for development professionals in the private sector is increasing.
- Development industry representatives have expressed the need for development professionals with leadership skills and business acumen.
- Exciting career opportunities are available with multilateral and bilateral aid agencies, aid contractors, government departments, non-government organisations and mining and other private sector companies.
What You'll Learn:
- An understanding of the prominent perspectives, trends, and challenges of leadership styles in development.
- Intermediate leadership skills and knowledge to manage complex challenges.
- A critical understanding of the practice and policy of sustainable pathways to development.
- Skills in adaptive development practice, in finding local solutions to complex problems, and for scaling those solutions to improve policy.
- The ability to apply critical reasoning to the analysis of development-related issues.
MicroMasters Program Details
How To Earn The MicroMasters Credential
Successfully complete and earn a Verified Certificate in all four courses and pass the final capstone assessment. Cost of capstone is $750.
Take Your Credential To The Next Level
Following successful completion of the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters Program, students may be eligible to apply for UQ’s Master of Leadership in Global Development.*
*Students must apply to UQ and meet all entry requirements for the Master of Leadership in Global Development program. Successful completion of the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters Program is only one of the entry requirements.
The entry requirements for the Master of Leadership in Global Development program are as follows:
- Successful completion of the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters Program, with a minimum overall score of 65 per cent; and
- Approved undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline; and
- Minimum of 4 years full-time (or equivalent) relevant professional work experience.
- Leaders in Global Development
Learn key leadership skills, concepts and theories needed to be a successful leader in development.
- The Science and Practice of Sustainable Development
Learn the science & policies that drive sustainable development & how to achieve UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
- Adaptive Leadership in Development
Gain the skills to be an adaptive leader in development & learn how to uncover local solutions to complex problems in developing countries.
- Critical Development Perspectives
Gain insight into the different perspectives & trends facing development workers to lead more effectively across sectors & organizations.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
Developed to advance a career and born from Master's programs of leading universities, MicroMasters programs are a series of higher-level courses recognized by companies for real job relevancy, and may accelerate a Master's degree.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 17, 2016